DO YOU WANT TO CLAIM AS REFUGEE?
Are you outside your home country or the country where you normally live, and are unwilling to return because of a well-founded fear of persecution based on race, religion, political opinion, nationality, or membership in a particular social group such persons of a particular sexual orientation?
You may be a Convention Refugee:
You are a person who, if returned to your home country or country where you normally live would be subjected to the danger of torture, a risk to your life or a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment?
You may be a person in need of protection:
Canada offers refugee protection to some people in Canada who fear persecution or who would be in danger if they had to leave. Some dangers they may face include torture, a risk to their life or a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment. If you feel you could face one of these risks if you go back to your home country or the country where you normally live, you may be able to seek protection in Canada as a refugee.
We will examine your circumstances and advise you if you are in a position to make a credible claim as a Convention Refugee, or a person in need of protection. We can advise you whether your claim is eligible for referral to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB), an independent administrative tribunal that makes decisions on immigration and refugee matters. The IRB decides who is a Convention refugee or a person in need of protection.
Your refugee claim may not be eligible for referral to the IRB if:
- You have been recognized as a Convention refugee by another country to which you can return;
- You have already been granted protected person status in Canada;
- You arrived via the Canada-United States border;
- You are not admissible to Canada on security grounds, or because of criminal activity or human rights violations;
- You made a previous refugee claim that was found to be ineligible for referral to the IRB;
- You made a previous refugee claim that was rejected by the IRB; or
- You abandoned or withdrew a previous refugee claim.
- You are subject to a removal order